Deforestation its causes and effects
Cutting down of forests is called deforestation.
Causes of deforestation
- To obtain timber
- To obtain fuel wood
- For agriculture
- For urban development
Effects of deforestation
- Deforestation reduces the amount of water in soil and moisture in air.
- It increases soil erosion.
- It causes floods due choking of rivers and dams with silt.
- It reduces rain fall and cloud formation.
- Silted dams store less water.
Benefits of forests
- Forests support biodiversity.
- Forests provide timber and fuel wood.
- Wood pulp is used to make paper.
- Timber is used in building houses.
- Forests reduce CO2 and other pollutants from air.
- Forests attract tourists.